Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tigers and Lyons...

I have been organizing my paperwork in anticipation of my visit to NYC Department of Records.  Next to George Illegitimate, Helen (Ellen) Blanchard and the Lyons' prove to be the most confusing.

I posted Ellen's story about a month ago.  Since then I have stumbled upon new information.  The first thing I found was an old interment list.  The list provided the following names and dates of burials:
  • William P Lyons, 7 June 1869
  • John J Lyons, 27 August 1872
  • Anne Lyons, 28 June 1875
  • Annie Lyons, 11 October 1875

On my last visit to NYC Department of Records I found the death certificates for William, John, Anne, and Annie Lyons.  On the death certificates, the places of death were mentioned.  John and Annie died in Manhattan, New York, at 304 Rivington Street.  Anne died at 302 Rivington Street.  William also died in Manhattan, New York, at 125 Goerck Street.

In light of this information, I decided to examine the 1880 United States Census.  I discovered there were still Lyons' living at the addresses.  Michael Lyons, age 32, tailor, and William H Lyons, age 10, were living at 304 Rivington Street.  At Goerck Street, Daniel Lyons, age 5, was a boarder of Mary Lyons.  The ages of Michael and Daniel, as well as Michael's occupation, all correspond to Ellen's husband and son.

After Michael's death in 1891, Ellen and her family moved to Brooklyn.  In 1894 William H Lyons was living with Ellen Lyons, widower of Michael, at 100 1/2 Dupont Street.  William lived with the family through 1900.  William and Daniel Lyons were also connected to Lyons Brother Cigars.  They, as well as the business, were listed under the address 566 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, in both 1897 and 1898.

The other piece of information I found was Stephen Blanchard's baptismal record.  He was baptized in 1880.  Ellen was listed as a sponsor on her nephews baptismal record; however she was not listed as a Lyon, she was Ellen Blanchard.

Based on this new information, it appears Michael was married before Ellen.  It also proves William and Daniel were not Ellen's biological children.

No comments:

Post a Comment